Monday, January 23, 2012

A Personal Story and New Feature!


My oldest, who is now six, was diagnosed with asthma when he was just six-months-old.  I was devastated and I just couldn't hold back my tears as I sat in the doctor's office.  I suffered from terrible asthma as a child and I didn't want him to have to go through what I went through.     

Six months later after that sad day in the doctor's office, my oldest had a life threatening asthma attack and was hosptialized for three days.  It was the worst three days of my life.  Now, it's just a big blur.  Soon after we found out through various tests that he had allergies and food sensitivities to dairy, wheat, eggs, soy and some nuts (including walnuts, peanuts, and hazlenuts)

My husband and I were stunned with the news.  What were we going to feed this kid??  He was already underweight and I felt so helpless.  Well, the search began.

As I look back to that day I remember how scared I was and how clueless I was about food and the variety of wheat-free, dairy-free food out there on the market.  Over the past six years I've learned a lot.  I've learned what foods work for my son and what foods don't.  What foods he'll actually eat and foods that he won't.

I'm so excited to start a new feature on my blog, meal ideas for the child who has food allergies.  Starting this Tuesday I thought that I would post a meal a week.   These are real meals that my son eats and loves! 

I'm definitely not an expert or a professional nutritionist.  I'm just a Mom and these are just ideas.  I really hope that some of these ideas can help others who may be searching for ways to feed their own child.

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful segment for your blog. My sister was also allergic (to almost everything) growing up. My family had to be really careful about what we brought into the house and my sister had to be very careful about what she ate.
    She is 22 now and has "grown out" of many of the allergies.
    It's wonderful that you have this blog and can help other families who may be going through something similar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so my son has the same allergies. we found out when he was four months. it is quite the shock and has been quite the journey to change the diet. (i still nurse) so i feel your pain lady. your ideas are great!

    ReplyDelete